Guests at Casa de Solana can enjoy free St. Augustine Music Festival concerts during visits the last two weekends in June each year. This year, the largest free classical Music Festival in the United States showcases string and piano guest artists in a wide variety of classical compositions from the 18th through early 20th centuries. Performances in the St. Augustine Cathedral Basilica will be June 21 – 23, and June 28 – 30, 2018, from 7:30 – 9:00 each evening, and do not require tickets. The Cathedral Basilica is located just across the Plaza de la Constitución, a less than five minute stroll from our bed and breakfast inn on Aviles Street in the old city.
Free performances will feature:
- Week One
- Violinist Nigel Armstrong and works by Franz Schubert and Fritz Kreisler on Thursday, June 21.
- Music for brass and the Cathedral’s pipe organ on Friday, June 22.
- String ensembles and chamber music by Shostakovich, Strauss, and Tchaikovsky on Saturday, June 23.
- Week Two
- Pianists Wendy Chen and Ileana Fernandez and a concerto for two pianos by Mozart, followed by Camille Saint-Saens’ orchestral Carnival of the Animals on Thursday, June 28.
- Cellist Andres Diaz’s performance in Rachmaninoff’s Cello Sonata, Op. 19, plus compositions by Shostakovich and Corigliano on Friday, June 29.
- Cellist Andres Diaz and orchestral works including a cello concerto and symphony by Haydn, plus Janacek’s Idyll Suite for String Orchestra on Saturday, June 30.
For more information about the 2018 concert series, the guest artists, and the historic cathedral venue, visit the SAMF website.
These concerts are just one of the many free events and attractions available for visitors to northeastern Florida. The St. Augustine Music Festival is one of the highlights of the area’s summer season, so don’t wait to give us a call at 904-824-3555 or go online to reserve your stay with us.