Quinoa Mushroom Leek and Red Pepper
This recipe has gone over very well with our vegan guests. It is a very satisfying recipe with great flavor. A very quick and easy recipe. (provided all ingredients are available we require 48 hour advance notice)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 4 cups thinly sliced mushroom (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 or 2 crushed garlic pieces (optional)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (Vegan Wine Optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Combine broth, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in 3 tablespoons parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Remove from heat; keep warm.
2. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek; sauté 6 minutes or until wilted. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic (optional) and wine; cook 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Place 1 cup quinoa in each of 4 shallow bowls; top each with 1 1/4 cups vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons walnuts.